Have you been invited for an interview at MHR or a MHR client? Congratulations! This means you have outshone some of the candidates and that our team would like to meet you. Here are some tips and techniques on how to shine in an interview and establish a connection.
Keep it honest. Keep it real. KEEP IT YOU!
Discover your GIFTS and let them SHINE
Your UNIQUENESS is your MAGIC
- Make sure you invest sufficient time to prepare. This will help you feel well-organised and ready
- It is essential to practise and prepare potential interview questions. Spend time thinking carefully about your interview answers, skills and accomplishments. List examples you could use to highlight your skills
- Make a list of the job requirements and match them to your skills and experience
- Know your top six professional strengths
- Remember, weaknesses are also opportunities for growth and development. Do not let this opportunity go to waste
Research the company’s vision. Study the mission and values and align it with your career goals. Get a sense of ‘who’ the company is and establish a connection. Why are you a good fit for the company culture? Prepare at least five noteworthy questions for the interviewer(s) based on your research of the company.
- Research the route, know your parking options and allow for plenty of time
- Print at least three copies of your CV
- Go to bed early and make sure you are well-rested
- Give yourself enough time to dress and look smart
- Ensure that your phone is fully charged, should you need to contact the company
- Remember your notebook and pen
Look the part. Make sure your outfit conveys neatness and professionalism, and that it complements the company culture.
Punctuality reflects your attitude and behaviour. Arrive at least 15 minutes before the scheduled appointment.
Introduce yourself, smile, establish good eye contact and greet people in a friendly manner with a firm, warm handshake.
Body language conveys your attitude and plays a key role in communication. Respectable body language and impeccable etiquette give you a winning edge for success. It is the difference between the words you speak and another person’s interpretation.
Be open and friendly; increase your participation. Show you are actively listening. Make eye contact and do not forget to smile. It tells the interviewer(s) that you are approachable, cooperative and trustworthy.
Communicate openly, confidently and with respect. Speak clearly and concisely. Stay upbeat and enthusiastic throughout the interview. Remember, you are a team player. Show it and make it count.
Providing evidence of your achievements is an excellent way to promote your candidacy. Discuss specific accomplishments which demonstrate knowledge and a proactive approach. Know your objective and end with it.
When departing, thank the interviewer(s) for the opportunity and make sure to follow up with a thank-you note.
Do not allow comparison to steal your uniqueness. Be true to yourself. Keep it honest. Keep it real. Keep it you! We wish you a successful journey!